This yummy Italian dish will turn everyone into an eggplant fan! Not only does it not miss out on any of the flavor, but it also is extra crispy and delicious!
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour (or regular flour)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (or regular cheese)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk (or regular milk)
- 1 eggplant large
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups SmartRice, cooked
- 1 and 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- Cook your SmartRice accordingly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash and cut the eggplant into 1/4 inch circles. Lay them out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let them sweat for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, get three bowls for the next step. Fill one with flour and mix with half of the Italian seasoning and salt. The second bowl with almond milk. The third with panko bread crumbs, vegan parm, remaining Italian seasoning and salt.
- After the eggplants are done sweating you will press down on each slice with paper towel to get excess water and salt off.
- Dip each circle of eggplant into the flour. Next, dip into the milk, and last dip the eggplant into the panko mixture making sure the eggplant is covered each time it’s dipped. Once coated, place the eggplant onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle coated eggplant with olive oil and bake for 6 – 9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and turn over and cook another 5 minutes or until the second side is golden.
- Spoon the SmartRice into serving dishes and place the eggplant on top. Pour the marinara on top. Top with additional (vegan or not) parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!